California Rail Pass
From the beauty of San Diego and the excitement of Los Angeles to the majestic scenery of the Sierra Nevada and the outdoor playground of Lake Tahoe, the California Rail Pass lets you explore all the diversity of California. The pass allows you to visit as many destinations in California as you like. The California Rail Pass allows for up to 7 days of travel in California over a 21-day period for $159 (adults) $80 (children 2-12).
- San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner and Capitol Corridor trains
- Most connecting Amtrak Thruway services
- Coast Starlight between Los Angeles and Dunsmuir, California
The California Rail Pass is not valid on long-distance trains, including the Sunset Limited, the Southwest Chief, the California Zephyr, and the Texas Eagle. On the Coast Starlight, travel to or from points outside California requires a separate fare, calculated between Dunsmuir and the out-of-state origin or destination.
- For adults: $159
- For children (ages 2 to 12): $80 (up to two children may ride with each full-fare paying adult)
- The California Rail Pass is valid for travel on any seven days during a consecutive 21-day period.
- Travel during any part of a calendar day counts as using that day.
- Travel is limited to not more than four one-way journeys on a given route segment.
- The pass is not transferable and must be used within one year of purchase.
How to Purchase your California Rail Pass
To purchase a California Rail Pass, talk to your travel agent or call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Online ordering is unavailable at this time.
Reservations and Tickets Required
In addition to holding the pass, you need to make reservations on all trains. Please make your reservations well in advance to avoid sold-out conditions.
In addition, you will need to obtain hard-copy tickets for all travel. Your pass is not valid without a corresponding ticket. A ticket is required for each travel segment and must be obtained prior to boarding. Please bring and be prepared to present identification. See Passenger Identification Requirements.
A pass holder is entitled to regular Coach Class travel. Passengers may upgrade to Business Class or Sleeping Accommodations by paying the applicable accommodations fees.
Refunds and Cancellation
The pass is refundable only if it has not been used for travel, and the pass and all tickets issued against it are returned to Amtrak. A penalty may apply to Sleeping Car accommodations not canceled at least seven days before departure.
This pass may not be combined with other offers, discounts or promotions unless specifically allowed under the terms and conditions of such offers, discounts or promotions. Further rules and restrictions may apply. Contact Amtrak for details. Passes subject to change without notice.