Exceptions and Restrictions
- The Amtrak California's Kids 'n' Trains Program is only available on the San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner trains and connecting Amtrak Thruway buses (as shown on the Zone Maps). For information about Train Treks for Kids on the Capitol Corridor, click here.
Posted fares are based on round-trip same-day travel with no stopovers*. Travel on the San Joaquin must occur on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday. Travel on the Pacific Surfliner must occur on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. See the Kids 'n' Trains Program Schedule for available dates. There are no separate one-way same-day fares. Fares are a flat rate regardless of one-way or round-trip travel occurring on the same day. Groups traveling one-way or round-trip on the same day pay the same low fare. Trips that include an overnight stay are considered two separate one-way trips requiring two separate reservations (a one-way trip from the origination point to the destination on one day, and a one way trip from the destination back to the origination point on a different day).
- * Stopovers are not permitted. A stopover is defined as an intermediate stop along the route where the group leaves the train for a period of time and then boards a different train headed in the same direction later the same day.
- The minimum number of passengers required is 20. The maximum number of passengers allowed in a group is 125. Each reservation request, regardless of group size, is individually reviewed and approved based on space availability. Some requests, regardless of group size may be denied if space is unavailable.
- There must be one adult chaperone for every six youth (17 years of age or younger). (Any adult traveling in connection with the group who is responsible for an infant will not be considered a designated chaperone.) Your group will not be allowed to board if it has less than the required ratio of chaperones to youth. No exceptions.
- In order to take advantage of Kids 'n' Trains low fares, reservations must be made by following the Kids 'n' Trains reservation procedures outlined. Please do not call Amtrak directly or visit an Amtrak Station to make reservations. Once you have received a confirmation letter, you may purchase tickets at any staffed Amtrak station.
- Your completed Reservation Request form must be submitted by FAX to 1-800-872-3298 a minimum of 30 days in advance of your desired travel date(s). Requests that are received less than 30 days prior to your desired travel date(s) will be returned.
- Once you have submitted your Reservation Request to Amtrak, travel date(s), trains, the number of passengers in your group, and schedules cannot be changed.
- After receiving a Confirmation Letter and before purchasing your tickets, a complete Passenger List with the first and last names of all persons traveling in your group must be submitted to Amtrak via FAX at 1-800-872-3298 or email to: email@example.com. Please make sure you carry a copy of your Passenger List with you during your trip.
- Kids 'n' Trains provides passenger rail service only. Groups are responsible for making their own arrangements for any activities, meals, accommodations, admission fees, and transportation to and from connecting trains or buses.
- This is a special offer available through the California Department of Transportation and Amtrak's Group Reservation System. Please do not call Amtrak directly to check on the status of your request. Reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis, and are subject to space availability. If you have questions regarding your Reservation Request after waiting seven to ten business days from the date you submitted your request, please send an email to: Amtrakfirstname.lastname@example.org.