(Bakersfield to Oakland/Sacramento)
Sequoia and Yosemite serve as backdrops along this amazing ride through Central Valley’s agricultural quilt of orchards, vineyards and farmland stretching as far as the eye can see.
Amtrak California’s San Joaquin and Thruway connections provide passengers easy access to an array of cultural attractions, museums and fun-filled family amusement parks, gardens, great seasonal cuisine and artisan foods. And if that isn’t enough to make you want to hop on a train, there’s always golf, shopping, natural hot springs and spa treatments. For the wine connoisseur, nestled along the foothills are more than 100 wineries offering several varieties including Chenin Blanc and Zinfandel.
The San Joaquin route stretches from Bakersfield to Stockton and beyond to Sacramento or the East Bay Area with connections to San Francisco. You can also connect to the Pacific Surfliner in Los Angeles via Amtrak Thruway bus connections at Bakersfield. The San Joaquin is family-friendly too! Children (between the ages of two and 12) ride for half price when accompanied by at least one person paying a regular adult fare. When you’re ready to unwind, come aboard the San Joaquin and enjoy the sights, sounds and tastes of all that California has to offer!
San Joaquin Amenities
Amenities include reclining seats, power outlets, and room for carry-on luggage in overhead compartments. You can even take your bicycle along, as our trains are equipped with convenient bicycle racks. In addition, checked baggage service is available at certain staffed stations. The on-board Café Car offers affordable sandwiches, fresh salads, snacks, and sweets, as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 10 (Bakersfield - Oxnard - Santa Barbara)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 12 (Bakersfield - Victorville)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 15 (Merced - Yosemite National Park)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 18a (Santa Maria - Hanford)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 18b (Hanford - Visalia)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 19a (Bakersfield - Hemet)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 19b (Bakersfield - Indio)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 1a (Bakersfield - San Diego)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 1b (Bakersfield - LA - San Pedro)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 1c (Bakersfield - Van Nuys - Torrance)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 20a (Sacramento - Reno/Sparks, NV)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 3 (Stockton/Sacramento - Redding)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 34 (Stockton-San Francisco)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 6 (Stockton - San Jose)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 7 (Martinez - McKinleyville)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 9 (Bakersfield - Las Vegas)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus Route 99 (Emeryville/Oakland - San Francisco)